What is the Alaska Companion Fare?
The Alaska Companion Fare is a special discount offered by Alaska Airlines that allows you to purchase a second ticket for a companion on the same flight for a reduced price. It is a fantastic opportunity to bring along a friend, family member, or loved one without paying the full price for their ticket.
Eligibility for the Alaska Companion Fare
To be eligible for the Alaska Companion Fare, you need to have an Alaska Airlines credit card. The companion fare is one of the many benefits that come with this credit card, making it an attractive option for frequent flyers. By holding the credit card, you unlock the opportunity to purchase a discounted companion ticket once a year.
How to Earn the Alaska Companion Fare
There are two primary ways to earn the Alaska Companion Fare: flying with Alaska Airlines and holding an Alaska Airlines credit card.
When flying with Alaska Airlines, you earn miles based on the distance traveled. Once you accumulate enough miles, you can redeem them for the Companion Fare. The number of miles required varies depending on your flight and other factors.
Alternatively, you can apply for an Alaska Airlines credit card. Upon approval, you receive the Companion Fare as a welcome bonus, allowing you to use it immediately for your next flight.
Understanding the Benefits of the Alaska Companion Fare
The Alaska Companion Fare offers several advantages to travelers. Firstly, it provides a significant cost-saving opportunity by allowing you to book a second ticket at a reduced price. This can result in substantial savings, especially for longer or more expensive flights.
Additionally, the Companion Fare is not limited to economy-class tickets. You can also use it for first-class or business-class bookings, further enhancing the value of the benefit. This allows you to enjoy a premium travel experience while still enjoying the discounted fare for your companion.
How to Use the Alaska Companion Fare
The Alaska Companion Fare is a great way to save money on flights for you and a companion. Here’s how to use it:
- Be eligible. The Companion Fare is available to eligible Alaska Airlines Visa cardholders (US), the Alaska Airlines Visa Business card (US), as well as the World Elite Mastercard and Platinum Plus Mastercard (Canada). You can check your eligibility on Alaska Airlines’ website.
- Get your code. Once you’re eligible, you’ll receive a unique discount code that you can use to purchase a companion fare. The code is valid for one year from the date it’s issued.
- Book your flights. When you’re ready to book your flights, enter your companion fare code in the discount code field on Alaska Airlines’ website. You’ll need to purchase a paid published coach airfare for yourself on the same itinerary. The companion fare will be applied to your companion’s ticket.
- Pay the taxes and fees. The companion fare is just $99 (USD) plus applicable taxes and fees. The taxes and fees will vary depending on your flight itinerary.
Here are some things to keep in mind when using the Alaska Companion Fare:
- The companion fare is only valid for round-trip coach travel on Alaska Airlines-operated flights. You can’t use it on partner-operated flights or on first class or premium class tickets.
- The companion fare is valid for travel to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies, including Hawaii and Costa Rica.
- The companion fare can’t be used with other discounts or promotions.
- The companion fare is non-refundable and non-transferable.
Using the Alaska Companion Fare is a straightforward process. Once you have earned the Companion Fare, you can access it through your Alaska Airlines account. When booking a flight, simply select the option to apply the Companion Fare during the checkout process.
It’s important to note that the Companion Fare is subject to certain limitations and restrictions. For example, it is only valid for round-trip flights within the continental United States and Alaska. Additionally, blackout dates may apply, so it’s essential to check the availability before finalizing your travel plans.
Tips for Maximizing the Value of the Alaska Companion Fare
To make the most out of your Alaska Companion Fare, consider the following tips:
1. Plan ahead
The Companion Fare is valid for a limited time, so make sure to plan your travel in advance to take full advantage of the benefit.
2. Utilize partner airlines
Alaska Airlines has partnerships with several other airlines, allowing you to use the Companion Fare for flights beyond their own network. Explore these options to expand your travel possibilities.
3. Combine with other offers
Look for additional promotions or discounts that can be used in conjunction with the Companion Fare to maximize your savings.
4. Upgrade your experience
While the Companion Fare is typically associated with economy-class tickets, you can use it for first-class or business-class bookings to enjoy a more luxurious travel experience without paying full price.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How long is the Alaska Companion Fare valid?
The Companion Fare is typically valid for one year from the date of issue. However, specific terms and conditions may apply, so it’s best to check the details.
2. Can the Alaska Companion Fare be transferred to someone else?
The Companion Fare can be used for anyone you choose to travel with, but it is not transferable to another individual.
3. Are there any blackout dates or restrictions?
Yes, blackout dates and restrictions may apply to the Companion Fare. These limitations vary, so it’s essential to review the terms and conditions before making your booking.
4. Can I use the Alaska Companion Fare for international flights?
No, the Alaska Companion Fare is only valid for flights within the continental United States and Alaska.
5. Can I use the Alaska Companion Fare for first-class or business-class bookings?
Yes, the Companion Fare can be used for first-class or business-class tickets, offering you the opportunity to enjoy a more luxurious travel experience at a discounted price.
The Alaska Companion Fare is a valuable benefit for travelers, providing an opportunity to bring along a companion at a significantly reduced fare. By understanding how to earn and use the Companion Fare effectively, you can save money while enjoying memorable travel experiences. Remember to plan ahead, explore partner airlines, and make the most of this valuable benefit to enhance your journeys.
6. Can I earn multiple Alaska Companion Fares in a year?
No, you can earn only one Alaska Companion Fare per year, either through flying with Alaska Airlines or by holding an Alaska Airlines credit card.
7. Can I use the Alaska Companion Fare for one-way flights?
No, the Companion Fare is only valid for round-trip flights.
8. Are there any fees associated with using the Alaska Companion Fare?
Yes, there may be additional fees and taxes associated with using the Companion Fare. These fees are separate from the discounted fare and vary depending on the flight.
9. Can I use the Alaska Companion Fare for flights to Hawaii?
No, the Companion Fare is not valid for flights to Hawaii. It is only applicable for flights within the continental United States and Alaska.
10. Is the Alaska Companion Fare refundable?
No, the Companion Fare is non-refundable. Once it is applied to a booking, it cannot be returned or transferred to another reservation.